July is always a crazy month. The end of the school year brings with it levels of exhaustion, both physically and emotionally. Anyone that works or has worked in education will know the feeling. This year to add to the busiest month, I moved back into my van…during a heatwave! I sold my house in mid June, put my few belongings in boxes and stored them with lovely friends and Poppy and I were back to living so simply.
In those few weeks, we spent our days at school (the kids loved having Poppy there) and our evenings roaming from woodlands to the coast. We fell asleep listening to the sea, or to the silence beneath the trees. We spent our long weekends at our favourite spots in west Norfolk, being kind to ourselves with walks I know without the need for a map and favourite treats along the way. Not a drop of rain fell and it felt like we were the first ones awake each morning to greet the world. Huge thanks must go to good friends who lent their driveways, showers and outside taps for us during our short return to van living!
The day after school finished marked five years since Dad died. To be present as someone takes their final breath is an unexplainable moment, but one that remains as vivid five years on as the day it happened. Five years and I finally moved from the house I shared with Dad. Five years of sorting, re-homing and selling things. My intention wasn’t to buy again, but things happen for a reason and a property I viewed two years ago came back on the market. It’s quiet, tucked away and surrounded by the green of trees. It is now home.
We spent the end of July exploring new footpaths from our new spot and going to local events. Norfolk’s best bookshop, The Norfolk Children’s Book Centre also moved into new premises and it was a privilege to see Chris Riddell, one of my favourite children’s authors christen the wall with an incredible illustration. A small crowd had gathered from toddlers to grandparents and were simply mesmerised watching as the artwork filled the space. It was a reminder perhaps that even though it’s sad to say goodbye as things end, new beginnings should also be celebrated.
Here’s to a summer of new adventures…
























No comments:
Post a Comment